Thursday 19 June 2014

Priming your brain to enhance productivity

We are always looking to increase our productivity, but did you know that what you do during your first few hours, even before you start work, can influence how productive you will be over the course of the day?
The following article addresses the priming effect, something that I practice as well (without realizing the concept before).
Be warned, it is a long article, but worth a read.

As an example, have you noticed that when you start the day angry/upset at something, you can't focus well at work? Alternatively, if you start the day cheerful, you get more done?

You don't need to jump out of bed excited all the time, but you can force yourself to smile until you feel better (fake it till you make it). Or use some of the tips outlined in the article above. Some personal examples: I make sure to relax with a good cup of tea (English Breakfast and Japanese Green tea are my favorites) in the morning with a healthy breakfast, so that I start the day on a good note. Sometimes I play happy music to get my spirits up in the morning. Or dress up in bright colors to feel good about myself and lighten my mood. If I feel upset or flustered for any reason during the day, I take the time to step back for a few minutes and meditate. Relax your body, and your mind will follow. Remember to breathe. 

Priming is more powerful than one might imagine. Don't believe me? Give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment