Monday 2 June 2014

Do unto others what you want done unto you

Just sharing a personal mantra today:


"Do unto others what you want done unto you" ~Confucius 

From a selfish point of view, this is a way to have your efforts reciprocated.
When you are kind to others, others will be kind to you.
When you help others, others will help you.
In short, karma. What goes around, comes around. Treat others well, and others will treat you well too. Harm others, and others will harm you too.

However, expecting returns does not always bring peace of mind. With expectation, you will always find yourself thinking, "When will I get rewarded?" 
While I believe in the goodness of human nature, I, however, do not promote the expectation of reciprocation. In fact, I advocate for removing any expectations. Why should you, if you are acting purely from the goodness within your heart? Personally, I act as I would, should I encounter myself as another individual, in a world driven by my beliefs and values. In other words, I simply think, "What would a second me do if that was me in that situation? What would I like to be done to me?" 
Therefore, when I see a friend in need, I always extend a helping hand. Not so that I can exchange the same kind of help in the future, but simply from a place of love and caring. When I see an unemployed man homeless on the street, asking for any form of employment or help yet not aggressively begging, I buy him some food while offering some kind words and encouragement. Our lives will likely not cross in the future, but that would be what I would be grateful for if I were in his position.

I am not a perfect person, nor am I trying to be self-promoting. But I do think that when you do what you believe is good and right, you will feel happy about your own being. Your own actions fulfill yourself, and you do not require another's validation for your own happiness. You act true to your values, without any regret or guilt from holding back on what is right. You also spend less time and energy second-guessing your own actions, or worrying about someone else's opinion about you.

I believe that this kind of selflessness* and not having to worry if you are worthy of anyone else's love and kindness, is the origin of true happiness.

And who knows, just by living happily and being kind, you may touch another's life in the process. That, in itself, is another form of happiness. =) 

Have a good week ahead!



*Also promoted by the Dalai Lama. I will write about some of his lessons in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment