Friday 6 June 2014

Letting go of control

Today I just want to share an exercise that I am currently undergoing: learning to let go of control.

I admit that I am an instant gratification person. I think fast, I react fast, and I want results fast. It is OK if I only expect it from myself. But the problem is, I used to expect others to be that way too. I also expected people to think and feel like I do. And when I didn't get what I expect, I suffered from disappointment, and strain in my relationships. 

Thanks to conversations with a good friend, I recently came to the realization that I need to learn to respect that other people think, feel, and act in their own time. I had thought that I was an understanding person, but boy, was I so wrong. Yes, I can empathize, but I did not fully understand that everyone runs by their own clock. By respecting that, I can understand them more. With respect and understanding, comes acceptance of who they are. With acceptance, comes the removal of expectations. With no expectations, comes an open mind. An open mind lets things happen in their own way in their own time. An open mind removes stress upon ourselves, and upon our relationships. An open mind also invites appreciation of what truly is.

It is not an easy process, but I believe that this will vastly improve the quality of life. If you are like me, I invite you to join me in this learning process! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment