Wednesday 4 June 2014

Let not the behavior of others destroy your inner peace


A few days ago someone I was close to got angry at me regarding something that I had not informed her about. When I first heard the news, I was very distraught. I even felt angry at her for misunderstanding me, and for imposing her own expectations on me. But after a brief moment, I told myself to calm down and questioned why I was so affected by her behavior. I tried to see things from her point of view, and I regained my inner peace. I stopped myself from blaming myself (not miscommunication) and her (for getting angry) for the inner trauma, and managed to communicate with her over the incident. With calm words, everything was resolved quickly, and we understand each other better now. But this incident was another reminder of how easy it is to over-react, especially when you care very much for someone. Imagine if I had lashed out at her and called her stupid (something I would have done quite easily in the past)! Luckily I calmed down and thought through what really happened. Just another reminder that we can control how we feel and react to situations. When we take a mental check and remove strong emotions, we can see things more clearly, and regain inner peace, which is also important for regaining peace between ourselves and other people. 

*Note that letting your emotions take over is usually satisfying at that moment, but often lead to regret in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment