Wednesday 24 June 2015

The most beautiful people...

"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen."
~ Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

This past year, I witnessed several of my close friends go through difficult times in life and love. I watched them as they were brought to their knees, helpless in the face of challenge, and then I watched them as they brushed themselves off to rise in the face of that same challenge. Together, we cried, swore, and threw up our hands in exasperation when it all seemed too difficult to bear. Together, we laughed and sighed as we said, 'We'll keep trying again and again until we get there'. I saw how they grew over time into stronger, yet unhardened, women with a deeper appreciation for love, life and everything and everyone around them. I saw them becoming more and more beautiful over time, not just on the outside, but more importantly, on the inside. It never ceases to amaze me how time can change everything, even the most stubborn parts of ourselves that we never thought we could or would change. It never ceases to amaze me the kind of love and gentleness we could develop over time, much more than the extent that I envisioned we had the capacity for. 
To Kathy and Joy, I dedicate this post to you. I just want to tell you how beautiful you are to me, and how much I look forward to witnessing your journey, and growing with you into the persons that we can and will be. <3
To my other friends and readers who are experiencing a trying period in your life, I wish to send you love and assurance that, at the end of this chapter in your life, you WILL emerge so much more lovely and beautiful like the caterpillar that has metamorphosed into a butterfly. Do not lose hope, you are stronger than you may think, and you can get through this. Life isn't about perfection or the lack of challenge, but about how you decide to respond to the challenges. You can do it! =) Much love to you~ xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment